Fun things to do in Jaani Town
Master classes and workshops in Antoniuse Yard and Lutsu Street
All visitors to the Hanseatic Days have a chance to improve their apprentice status in master classes and workshops. In master classses you can learn by observing carefully and in workshops you can participate in the making of things yourself.
1. MAYOR’S HOUSE – Information.
2. WORKSHOPS OF ANTONIUSE YARD – All the workshops in Antoniuse Yard are open. You are welcome to stop by at the workshops and have a chat with the masters.
3. LEATHER WORKSHOP –Master of leather workshop teaches the art of braiding a wristband.
4. BRAIDING WORKSHOP – Different technics for braiding.
5. DOLL WORSKHOP – Making of Hampelmanns.
6. NUNO FELTING MASTER CLASS – Master talks about and shows the technique of nuno felting at the fabric design workshop in Antoniuse Yard.
7. STAINED GLASS MASTER CLASS – At the stained glass workshop in Antoniuse Yard you can observe master making Tiffany style stained glass. You can ask the master questions and take a look at the work process.
8. HANDICRAFT PAPER MASTER CLASS – At the design workshop master makes handicraft paper and answers questions.
9. JEWELRY CASTING – Jewelry making, sales of jewelry.
10. CERAMICS WORKSHOP – In this workshop you can delve into the secrets of small ceramics: making cast molds for jewelry and souvenirs.
11. PÄRNU RED TOWER WORKSHOP – Making Tiffany-style jewelry.
12. TAUNO KANGRO’S SCULPTURE WORKSHOP – Modeling sculptures.
13. MART SALUMAA’S BLACKSMITH’S SHOP – Blacksmithing and blacksmith’s stories. Hammered works on display and for sale.
14. CHIMNEY SWEEP’S LUCKY BUTTONS WORKSHOP – Making a lucky button according to the instructions of a real chimney sweep. Potter’s works. Smoke detectors and fire safety.
15. CARPENTER’S WORKSHOP – Economical use of residues of wood -–butter knives and forks, turning and making wooden figures. The workshop is supervised by the teacher of the Vocational Education Centre of Tartu. Come and make with masters!
16. DANCE GUILD’S WORKSHOP – Lessons in Hanseatic dances.
17. RESTAURERS’ MEDIEVAL SHOP – Estonian Conservationist Society demonstrate and teach old work methods. Non-profit association Sustainable Renovation Centre introduce literature on traditional ways of construction and distribute information booklets.
18. LATVIAN BLACKSMITH AND MAKING A MEDIEVAL COIN – In this workshop you can try blacksmithing and making a copy of a medieval Tartu coin.
19. ALMOND WORKSHOP – Preparing almonds according to a 16th century recipe. Medieval board games. NB! Saturday, 18 July at 13:00 EVERYONE IS INVITED TO THE MEDIEVAL BOARD GAME TOURNAMENT!
20. MEDIEVAL ARCHERY
21. VILJANDI BONIFATIUSE GUILD’S WORKSHOPS – How to bind headscarfs and table mats and how to wear 13th-15th century head wears.
22. VILJANDI BONIFATIUSE GUILD’S WORKSHOPS: PAINTING WITH CLAY – Painting the beads of clay and arms.
23. VILJANDI BONIFATIUSE GUILD’S WORKSHOPS: GLASS PAINTING WORKSHOP – Painting glass jewelry.
24. WORKSHOPS OF LE-LU-LA
Friday, 17 July 18:00-20:00 Fimo jewelry
20:00-22:00 Face paintings in Hanseatic style
Saturday, 18 July 12:00-14:00 Making jewelry form natural materials
14:00-16:00 Making Hanseatic bag
16:00-18:00 Face paintings in Hanseatic style
For children: 12:00-14:00 Painting the plaster cast figures
14:00-16:00 Decorating the paper gift bags
Sunday, 19 July 12:00-14:00 Pearl animals
14:00-16:00 Face paintings in Hanseatic style
25. MERLE’S FELTING WORKSHOP - Felting
26. RUNIC SONGS WORKSHOP AT THE 19TH CENTURY TARTU CITIZEN’S MUSEUM – Ülle Paltser teaches runic songs on Friday, 17 July, 18:00-20:00 – you can hear the story of runic songs and sing along as well (Jaani 16).
27. ESTONIAN POST MUSEUM’S PAPER MAKING WORKSHOP – Making paper by hand.
Museums in Jaani Town
ARTISTS’ AND ARTISANS’ STREET
Masters and merchants from all over have come here to the delight of the citizens. Come, have a look around, buy handicrafts from the best masters and enjoy good food.
TAMPERE HOUSE (Jaani 4)
Friday, 17 July – Sunday, 19 July. Exhibition “New Finnish Glass”. The exhibition includes glass art, glass sculptures and dishes.
Saturday, 18 July, 19:00 yard concert „Dūkņu Sils”. Madrigals and Latvian music.
JAANI STREET CERAMICS GALLERY (Jaani 14)
The Ceramics Gallery offers the chance to experience a special glimpse of our existence centuries ago. Come and take a look at beautiful oven pots from the 16th and 17th centuries which were recently found at the excavations of Lutsu Theatre House! Making oven pots, mostly with plant ornaments but also with portraits and coats of arms, required special crafting skills from the masters of that time. Also, you can participate in the sweet exhibition-sale by artists!
19TH CENTURY TARTU CITIZEN’S MUSEUM (Jaani 16)
Friday, 17 July, 18:00-20:00 Runic songs workshop
Saturday, 18 July, 18:00 Mirjam Rennit on cello and Elli Marie Tragel on violin.
TARTU TOY MUSEUM (Lutsu 8)
The permanent exhibition of the Toy Museum and the house of theatre and film dolls is open 11:00-18:00.
In the Jaani Church during the Tartu Hanseatic Days
1. Eesti Kontsert concerts (Ticket 125.- for all concerts, tickets for sale at Piletilevi ticket offices)
Thursday, 16 July, 20:00 BALTIC YOUTH PHILHARMONIC
Peter Jablonski (piano, Sweden / England)
Conductor – Kristjan Järvi
Playing: Brahms, Mendelssohn, Beethoven-Senderovas (world premier)
Saturday, 18 July, 20:00 BERLIN PHILHARMONIC WIND QUINTET
Playing: Dvořák, Rossini, Tchaykovski, J Strauss
Sunday, 19 July, 20:00 SEVEN LAST WORDS ON A CROSS
Chamber orcestra Kremerata Baltica
2. Hansa night concerts
Friday, 17 July, 22:30 JOHANSON&VENNAD + GUEST
Saturday, 18 July, 22:30 UMA - Aleksei Saks (trumpet, corno da caccia, electronics) and Robert Jürjendal (guitar, electronics).
3. HANSA CONCERT
Saturday, 18 July, 14:00 CANTIGA
4. Midday church service
Saturday, 18 July, 12:00
5. Church service
Sunday, 19 July, 11:00
6. Viewing platform in the tower of the Jaani Church
Friday and Saturday 11:00-19:00, Sunday 13:00-19:00. Ticket 25.-/15.- (pupils, students, pensioners)
The viewing tower is closed during services and concerts.
7. Art and handicrafts shop
Friday, 17 July – Sunday, 19 July, 11:00-19:00